18 April 2016

I am loving the new Dr Strange

My relationship with Doctor Strange has been tenuous over the years and it has rarely been one of my regular books. Of course that is partially because it has not always been a regular book in its own right with Doctor Strange more often appearing as a supporting character in books like the Defenders.

When he has had his own title Doctor Strange has been reassuringly quirky rather than mainstream, more Tomb of Darkness or Werewolf by Night than Avengers and X-Men. This was particularly true in the late 70's when Tom Sutton was on pencils.

Now he is back in his own book as part of one of the many relaunches that Marvel and DC are doing these days. His reappearance has no doubt prompted by the upcoming film staring Benedict Cumberbatch which is giving this fringe character more publicity than ever before.

I subscribed to the new book, which means ordering a paper copy from Raygun Comics Richmond and then reading the free digital copy that comes with it on my iPad. I wish other publishers would follow Marvel's lead and let me have paper copies to collect and digital copies to read.

The main reasons that I subscribed were my historical interest in the character and the art work by Chris Bachalo who I have praised here a few times previously. It is written by Jason Aaron who has also been mentioned in dispatches before.



The result is every bit as good as I hoped it would be and I am loving every minute of it.

This is the Doctor Strange that I know, living on the edge of reality and being very comfortable there; he is the Sorcerer Supreme after all. He also deploys a lot of the old favourite spells from when he first appeared, spells to invoke the Crimson Bands of Cyttorak or to use the Eye of Agamotto. Fanboys like me like things like that.

The story is good too with the right mix of menace, weirdness and humour.

No comments:

Post a Comment

All comments are welcome. Comments are moderated only to keep out the spammers and all valid comments are published, even those that I disagree with!