19 March 2014

Open Mic night at the Grey Horse (19 March 14)

I am starting to get in to the habit of going to the Open Mic nights that take place every Wednesday night at the Grey Horse. It's a good habit to have.

I had a meeting earlier in the evening and got there around 9:30pm. That seemed to be something of a consensus time for non-performers and the bar filled soon after that. There were several people that I knew there.

The music was much as I had seen previously, including many of the same performers. There were no acts that I responded badly to, most were pleasing in a gentle folky way and a couple were really quite good.

My star of the evening was Maria Ahearn (that's her in the red dress) who also organised the event. As usual she was the last act on and performed with several of the regular musicians (such as Eugene in the red and white hooped shirt). Her singing voice is good but what made her my star was her choice of songs. We heard a funky version of Led Zeppelin's Immigrant Song followed by Massive Attack's Teardrop.

After it had finished I went to tell her how much I liked her song selection and said that I though that I was probably the only person in the bar who had bought both songs when they first came out. Her surprise came not that I knew and had both songs but that I had paid for them!

No comments:

Post a Comment

All comments are welcome. Comments are moderated only to keep out the spammers and all valid comments are published, even those that I disagree with!