18 January 2014

Hoaxwind at The Fighting Cocks

Hoaxwind are one of those bands that I see whenever that I can so it was disappointing to have not seen them for almost two years (is that true!!).

At least this time they were at a local venue, The Fighting Cocks, and I could walk there.

I got there as the support band, the Resuscitators were in full swing. They were a young band dressed rather like the bad lads in The Simpsons with black t-shorts and beanies. They also had their guitars down around their knees as is the fashion.

So not the sort of thing that I go for but they did what they do with much enthusiasm and, as far as I could tell, some skill.

I found myself liking them and was pleased to tell them that afterwards.

Then it was time for Hoaxwind.

As usual it took them a little while to set things up because there were so many of them to fit on to a small stage and they all had equipment to squeeze on to. But they've played there before and know where they all fit.

The last job they had to do was to put on their traditional outfits. These guys like dressing up for the show even though only two of them, Julian and Phil wore something that had anything to do with Hawkwind. But then they are not Hawkwind and I like that they have their own look.

They have their own sound too and that is quite different from what Hawkwind sound like these days and more like what they did in the late 70's. This is when I first got in to the band seriously so it is a sound that I know and love. That sound is largely due to the line-up with the guitars supplemented by a saxophone (dropped by Hawkwind when Nik Turner left), keyboards and twiddly sonics.



The set-list reflected their sound and relied heavily on the albums of that period, albums that Hawkwind have largely forgotten.

That meant tracks like Angels of Death, Kerb Crawler, Hassan-i Sabbah (on the set-list as Hassany Sabha) and Urban Guerilla.

There was also a lovely Assault and Battery which, sadly, was not followed by The Golden Void, as it is on the album.

There were a couple of old classics too, Orgone Accumulator and Masters of the Universe, and it is always good to hear those.

This was, I believe, the best that I have heard Hoaxwind play and I enjoyed their set immensely. It helped having a good crowd there with many familiar faces among them.

Hoaxwind really need to get out and play more often. They owe it to the world.

No comments:

Post a Comment

All comments are welcome. Comments are moderated only to keep out the spammers and all valid comments are published, even those that I disagree with!