7 December 2013

Echoes back at The Fox and Duck

It is always good to see Echoes play anywhere and it is even better to see them in The Fox and Duck in Petersham as it is easy for me to get to (I could walk but I usually take the bus) and there is always a great atmosphere there.

The buses were unkind to me and I did not get to the pub until just before Echoes started playing. By then the pub was pretty packed and any hope I had for getting a comfortable place by the bar had long gone. It was hard enough to squeeze up to the bar to get my first Doombar of the evening.

Beer acquired I tried to find somewhere decent to stand where I could both see the band reasonably well (I am only little) and would not be jostled too much by people trying to get to the toilets or the bar. That meant I was pretty near the front for most of the evening, which was fine with me.

Echoes opened, as usual, with In the Flesh? from The Wall with its loud refrain, "So ya, Thought ya, Might like to go to the show." and took it on from there with more songs from, mostly, The Wall and Wish You Were Here. I like the way that they play a combination of the shorter poppier songs, such as Another Brick in the Wall, and longer proggier songs like Shine on You Crazy Diamond.

After an hour Echoes decided that they needed a rest and took a break from half an hour or so.


When they came back they gave us Dark Side of The Moon in its entirety. Not surprisingly this was very well received by everybody there, even the people who looked far too young to know the album,  and there was a lot of singing along. I may have been guilty for some of that.

How do you follow something as brilliant and as famous as Dark Side? Echoes chose to do it with Echoes, though they trimmed it down a little to a mere fifteen minutes. It was my highlight of the evening (again).

Echoes played until just a little shy of the midnight curfew, and remember they started spot on nine. That was one long and very excellent set that went down very well with an enthusiastic audience.

It is hard to fault an evening as good as that, so I shan't. It was perfect.

No comments:

Post a Comment

All comments are welcome. Comments are moderated only to keep out the spammers and all valid comments are published, even those that I disagree with!