16 March 2010

An early visit to Ham House

I normally only go to Ham House once or twice a year on special occasions, i.e. when it is free to enter! I'm not particularly mean (honest) but it is on the small side for a stately home and so there is not that much to see in the gardens to justify the entrance fee.

But now the good news.

I have been a member of the Arts Fund for several years and now that gets me free entry to some National Trust properties, including Ham House. I took advantage of this today making a flying visit (less than an hour away from home from start to finish) by bike to enjoy the gardens in the early spring sun.




The gardens are my favourite art of Ham House and they are nicely laid out in different sections providing a range of colours, shapes, smells, and experiences. And my favourite favourite place is the former Cherry Garden on the east side of the house which is now resplendent in lavender, box and yew.

The best thing about going this early in the year is that there were few people there (and most of these were clustered around the cafe) which meant that I was free to take lots of photos without having to worry about bright red coats ruining the shot.

No comments:

Post a Comment

All comments are welcome. Comments are moderated only to keep out the spammers and all valid comments are published, even those that I disagree with!