14 January 2010

Zlaty Bazant

My knowledge of Slavic languages remains limited despite the years spent in Prague and the amount of time spent with Czech and Slovaks since then but I do know that "Zlaty Bazant" means "Golden Pheasant", though you could argue that the picture on the label is bit of a clue.

What the picture does not tell you is that it is a smooth drink from Slovakia that is now available at the Czechoslovak National House in West Hampstead.

I was there for the monthly BCSA "Get to Know You" Social which is an informal meet-up for anybody who thinks that they have Czech/Slovak connections or who just fancy some regional beer and food.

The Zlaty Bazant made a change from my usual Pilsner Urquell but, that apart, it was a typical social with a healthy mix of regulars and newcomers that leads to stimulating conversations.

I go to a number of regular meetings each month, all of which have a large element of fun - otherwise I would not keep going to them, but the BCSA socials are something special and I'll be trekking off to West Hampstead on 10 February to greet some more golden pheasants.

No comments:

Post a Comment

All comments are welcome. Comments are moderated only to keep out the spammers and all valid comments are published, even those that I disagree with!